Saturday, September 02, 2006

For starters... A story i wrote...

Animal Antics

I lived seven years of my life in a farm and till date I can say that those were the best days of my life. My father, mother and me moved in from a city to the farm when I was two years old.

Since I have no siblings I spent most of my time playing by myself or with the animals there. We had two sheep, a buffalo and her calf, a dog , two Geese , some chicken and a cat. We used to treat these animals like part of the family. They even behaved like they were my siblings!!!

There was Chikka, the Sheep, who used to follow me where ever I went. Sometimes even right up to the bed, much to my mother’s annoyance! ‘Nidhi had a little lamb!’ But Chikka was no lamb, he was this huge sturdy Sheep. His favorite pastime was butting people! If he saw someone walking fast or running he would go and butt them at their butt, with all the love!

Sheena my dog… She was one of the best dogs I ever had. When someone used to leave the farm she would bark and circle the periphery of my farm till she was really tired and to cool off she’d jump into the pond have a swim!

Koosa, the buffalo calf… He was such a cute fellow! He used to speak to my father everyday in his ‘moo’ language and my father would actually speak back to everyone’s surprise! The conversations they used to have would leave everyone in splits of laughter.

Once my father thought he’d ignore Koosa to see how Koosa would react. My father was speaking to someone. Koosa waited for sometime and then got impatient and actually butted him! Guess Chikka had given him a few tips!

Of course the two Geese, male and female. I don’t remember giving them names , they were just Geese 1 and Geese 2. For the short period they were there in the farm there was no need for Sheena to do anything. They took over Sheena’s job of attacking strangers! The only hitch here was that they couldn’t differentiate between the owners and strangers! They used to attack us too! Charging at anyone with their wings spread out wide and making a gargling-hooting kind of a noise, would make anyone run hell bent for leather! After three months I guess they’d had enough, they flew away somewhere…

The head of the chicken flock was this mighty Rooster. He was a very good leader. If the chicken wandered off somewhere far while searching for grains he’d herd them back. Sometimes if Sheena would try to entertain herself by scaring the chicken this Rooster would chase him around the farm. It was real fun to see huge Sheena being chased by this Rooster!!!

My cat Tiny, not bothered about what’s happening around her would just eat and sleep blissfully the whole day.

Everything was fine until my parents decided to move to an estate and I was sent to my grandparent’s house in the town. We had to give away all the animals. I still remember crying and shouting and creating a big fuss when I saw my dear animals go away in a huge truck.

25 comments:

abhiraj said...

be careful lady, the city has many animals too, and they arent as friendly!

chethan.n.c.(kuber) said...

hey !!!!!.... u have talent that lots people dont have... u have picked up the right flavors of spicey character which relate to real character in life ..it touch my heart such an extent that i am totally "mad "of the way u tell the story... (mad:meaningfull attractive defination).....

Unknown said...

hey !!!!!.... u have talent that lots people dont have... u have picked up the right flavors of spicey character which relate to real character in life ..it touch my heart such an extent that i am totally "mad "of the way u tell the story... (mad:meaningfull attractive defination).....

NG said...

gud one

Unknown said...

Couldnt get the rationale behind this.....

Karthik VR said...

hi nidhi..
truely a good one. u r a feminine version of chetan bhagat is what i can say..

Karthik VR said...

hi nidhi..
truely a good one. u r a feminine version of chetan bhagat is what i can say..

Unknown said...

I never had any pets.
I would always wonder if owners cud read what the pets actually feel?

I know for a fact that dogs are sensitive but what abt sheep, buffalo etc?

Unknown said...

very cute...each emotion is depicted in such a nice way...

Unknown said...

very cute...each emotion is depicted in such a nice way...

Unknown said...

Cute Story...:)

As u said childhood memories in village are best..
No tension nothing...Playing goli, bugri, kuntapille etc..
Yemme meysu, kale killu....etc..
Tota dalli yelneeru kudiyodu..
and swimming in kere or bhavi...

And finally at midday having raagi mudde and 1 big lota buttermilk..Heaven on earth..

nidhi subbaiah said...

wow.. ma i actually being compared to chethan bhagath?? no no.. that is too much for me..! hope to come out with my book someday..! thanks guys..! thanks so much!

nidhi subbaiah said...

wow.. am i actually being compared to R K Narayan and chethan bhagath?? no no.. that is too much for me..! hope to come out with my book someday..! thanks guys..! thanks so much!

mohan said...

Nice story with a tragic ending but reminded me a lot of by childhood days...

Hey Nidhi,Thanks a lot for giving back those days from ur blog.

It was a cool one as i too had a lot of pets in my home when i was a kid...but now only my doggy is with us

Abhishek said...

The description is too fine ! I appreciate the Beauty of it, the emotions in it and the message in it !

Abhishek said...

a tragic love story

Unknown said...

heyy hi, i m jai ... i really like the movie u have played... u r simply superb... i wanna become yo fan...so is am very eager to be a friend of u... can u accept my request.... i respect u a lot ....i miss a lot and feel a lot if u dont... never ever asked a gal like this in public chat... :-( plz ya..

Harsha said...

Hi....

ramesh said...

today i read article abt u in bang mirror.. it was nice ... all the best for ur next films also ur dream of becaming play back singer.

ramesh said...

today i read article abt u in bang mirror.. it was nice ... all the best for ur next films also ur dream of becaming play back singer. plz atleast once u reply to msg.. plz i'm waitng for ur reply..

arun said...

kannadadha hudugi; kodagina kuvari..
cheluvu sobagina binkadha siri:-)
bollywoodnalu barasthare kannadadha dimdima kelri..
achrisuthidhare indhu huttidhahabba kanri..
haraisona banni; huttuhabbadha shubhashayagalu nidhi:-)

arun said...

key in "Who's the cutest" using Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky," answer?!;-):-)

Unknown said...

feeling great of my favorite,lovely actres!hmm

nidhi subbaiah said...

Thankyou very much for your comments guys:)

Unknown said...

Had a great story.. great fun..glad to know u r still writing something which is good..
Thanks