Sunday, July 29, 2012

Kishore Maama

                                                            I have vague memories of myself as a 6 year old , sitting atop the petrol tank of his yezdi bike , and vrooming away to mysore city to watch the bollywood film khal nayaak in lido theatre!It was quite a heady feeling , first the bike ride where i felt like the 'king' of the world and then the flashy glamourous movies that had such gorgeous people ...they took me away to a whole different world altogether! I think my first movie in a theatre would be cliff hanger 'cos i remember crying when that girl's doll falls off followed by the girl , n mom trying to shush me while wearing that polite embarassed 'wonder where that came from ' smile on the face as she looked at the irritated neighbours! Guess i fell asleep after that , anyway , khal naayak would have been the first movie in a theatre , that actually registered in my mind , to be followed by baazigar, darr and several other flicks! All these , seen with my movie crazy maama ! He'd drop by over the weekend at our farm with a bar of cadburys dairy milk , play inane games like hide n seek, the joke around then being , he would ask me to hide 'cos i would keep pestering him to play with me till he gave in and i would find a nice little hollow in the garage and hide there for half an hour with a huge grin on my face imagining him to be looking for me ... After sometime ,it used to start getting hot and sweaty in there i would slowly creep out 'ninga mode' and look for him making sure not to break a twig under my shoe , only to find him perched blissfully on the sofa reading the newspaper! He would tell me that i had found the best place on earth to hide and he was taking a break from looking for me... One fine day i overheard him telling mom that he relishes those 30 mins of silence! So anyway , after these shehnanigans it was movie time ! First show ( 6:00 pm) saturday evening. Mom would dress me up in a frilly frock n make me sit on the petrol tank n wave us off with a big grin , now im thinking that she too must have relished those 3 hours of silence... After the movie it was dosa time at the delicious dosa corner nearby! Here we would discuss the scenes and dialogues and how well everyone acted n other 'important' things like that... After getting home , i would enact the whole movie to my parents with the dancing included..  Well I would mostly sing the dance *teehee* . Sometimes while trying to enact a scene from the film (my way ) i think i would get the scene and sometimes even the story wrong (cmon what do u expect from a 6 year old of the 90's ? ) only to be interrupted by maama n then we would get into arguments ( real heated ones) much to the chagrin of pappa and mamma! I now think that that was the beginning of well... my acting school...  So here is the man who introduced  me to many magical things in the world , one  of them being the world of cinema... Kishore maama.. I'm sure you're showing the stars how i enacted my scene today...  And dont worry.. Your darling neice will get her dialogues right this time!

10 comments:

Phaneendra said...

Nice vivid memories!

Unknown said...

Nidhi these are memories that you can live and re live a million times in your mind.I knew Kishore anna as a soft natured gentle giant always zipping away in gokulam on his yezdi. He will be showering all his blessings as you step though every milestone I am sure. Tonite he might just be sighted up above there as a bright twinkling star. All the vey best Nidhi...

nidhi subbaiah said...

Wow.. U knew kishore maama ? This is amazing.. Thanks so much for the kind words :)

searching... said...

90s was th best time to grow up...got to thnk ur kishore mama fr getng u intrstd in movies :)

Unknown said...

Nidhi really its a golden memories...... Thanks 4 sharing ur exp....

shivani mysore sreekantaiah said...

Although I ve never seen mr.kishore sir, after reading this, I can imagine what beautiful person he was.emotions ve been put in words beautifully. it has touched my heart...!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yash said...

My childhood memories whenever I watched movies, just flashed across my mind. Thanks for sharing :)

nidhi subbaiah said...

Thanks shivani , yeshwanth,ganesh,searching..! Glad I could bring back happy memories for you'l with my writing :)

Rituja said...

Its all about how one expresses his/her feeling into words...

Nidhi you are an amazing writer and can inspire many....