Monday, July 15, 2013

In the pursuit of Happiness?

"What do u want from life?" Asked Kabir.. I was a lil dumbfounded.. What? I thought..Did u just throw a deep question at me? .. We had just got done with dinner and a round of songs and dance.. And a round of sitting together n watching tv , 4 of us , in suburban Mumbai who had met for dinner on a sunday evening.. So.. I still was a lil taken aback by this question.. As i continued to stare blankly at him , the last song we sang still reeling in my mind.. He said , "lemme make it simpler.. Where do u see urself 20 years from now?" " 20!!! " I blurted.. "Uh.. I dunno.... Uh.. Can i say 10?".. "Sure go ahead".. "Well.. Happiness! "  Said I.. "Thats vague!"  Said he.. "Uhm.. Satisfaction!! "  I said.." Cmon thats vague too!"  "Well what exactly do u wanna hear ?" .. "Exactly where u see yourself 10 years from now!!" .. Well.. "I see myself happily married.. Maybe with 2 kids whose ass i'l be whacking 'cos of all the hullaboo they're creating in bringing the house down.. And pursuing sailing or another hobby that I have conveniently kept aside now , 'cos of something else im trying to achieve 'professionally'.. Where also.. In the journey of trying to 'achieve', I want to find happiness!"  The words kept coming as though I actually had  a carefully planned out answer a la miss India! Pheww! Deep eh? Kabir seemed satisfied with that and moved onto the next person! "Its your turn now and you can choose your own time frame", he said, before the next person could react! "Well i'l select 20", said she, "as 10 is quite a short time frame!-I see myself  blissfully settled by the mountains.. Working out of there at my own will.. Maybe eat an icecream from the cart that'l be driving out on the street!.. Not living in this mad city for sure!!! "  So i assumed it was peace she wanted after 20 years! Well good enough.. Wait.. What about you mister? You who's throwing this question at us.. What do you want? "I dunno"... He said.. "I have everything now.. Great family.. Great job.. Enough money.. Now there's an unrest.. I dont know what more i want.. I have started reading the Gita which is making a lot of sense to me now.. " Wow!.. Thats quite a tricky stage to be stuck in, I thought.. To not know what more you want! To have attained everything .. As we pondered in his thoughts, our eyes moved to the last person in the room.. Who was casually laid back on the couch checking out a video game.. With half a smile on his face as he heard us ramble about life..  "What about you?"   "Who me?"... He said as he glanced casually at the curious faces of people who were chasing life or confused.. Yeah You!! "Im happy"..He said.. "Right  here.. Right now.. At this very moment"! And grinned right back at us!

11 comments:

ashvin said...

Good write. It is in the now that we seek solace by pondering about having a happy future.

Rohini said...

the good one nidhi..:)

yash said...

Good one.. But I also ponder a lot like your friend.. Thoughts don't go anywhere.. Just keep searching and searching

Deepak A L said...

Awesome writeup nidhi ;)

Sanjay Herle P said...

thumbs for your write up Nidhi \../

Unknown said...

Moral I understood is to live righteously @present :-)

Unknown said...

Moral I understood is to live righteously @present :-)

poorna said...

good :)

nidhi subbaiah said...

Thanks guys:)

nidhi subbaiah said...

Really appreciate the feedback... :)

Keremane Roshan R karkera said...

hi