Tuesday, August 05, 2014

I am an Actress!

One balmy Sunday afternoon I had an encounter with a couple that tried to get to know me... "Hi - what do u do?" "Me?, well Im an actress" Bazoonga!!! I could already see a thousand opinions being formed, a thousand suppressed expressions, a wry smile appear before the next almost condescending comment, "Oh nice!" Why? Why do I even feel that I should make up an imaginary profession before I go to a new city or meet new people.. ? Why do you guys bastardize my profession and form a zillion opinions about me before you even try and get to know who I am... Can’t blame you though.. We have always been projected as a "type" haven’t we? Probably one reason why my folks wouldn't let me get into this profession and argued with me for close to a year before they gave in! Its different now ,they respect the art as they have had a chance to see what lies beneath the glitz n glamour. Sweat, blood, feverish passion, teamwork(thats right) , grit, determination.. I can go on and on.. Why am i writing this? 'Cos if another cliched question or joke about actress’ come’s my way,I might just burst.. Into a fit of rage, into a bout of crying, into delirious laughter... Oh, these emotions are part of the Navras ,by the way, nava -9 , rasa - essence, 9 emotions used in our day to day life, used to convey our essential mental state .Did you know that ,dear type-caster? I remember going to an underground stand up comedy show in NYC and me and my 2 Indian friends who reside there, over enthusiastically took the table right in the front row! He went on to pick on us (but of course) , asked for our nationality, and when we said India, he asked us ,with much sarcasm, if we were a bunch of doctors or engineers. The other two went quiet because they were engineers,however they very sweetly pointed at me and said "she is an actress" ! What happened next was a banal 15 minute session of jokes about how he'll make me famous in hollywood if I 'hung' out with him ! It was funny though.. But as this man went on with it, he again made me wonder if this is a global phenomena! Again, dear reader, why am I writing this.. Maybe after 5 years in this glorious industry of mine that has given me so much, it pains me that you still think that my job is petty and that I am someone who reads and quotes cosmo and knows nothing about matters of the world! That said and done ,may I add, I have also learnt to be compassionate against Judge Simons like you. I control my aversion, and continue to love my profession.. Oh - by the way, compassion, aversion and love, these emotions are the other 3 parts of the nava rasas… And yes, I love Cosmo, I read it in my spare time when my eyes burn out from watching Ted talks videos and when I need to get my mind off Atlas Shrugged for a bit! Hey did you know that nail polish dries out faster if you put hairspray on it?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well what you say is completely right cause most the people who go into the acting profession tend to not know about current or daily affairs because of their acting schedules, people have opinions of all professions. Generally they think they are always the smart ones around and try to impress their unfair opinion on you.

Unknown said...

Glad you didn't feel the need to make up a mock profession! Trust the afterparty was excellent. All the very best and after a hugely successful acting career I hope you make it back to an idyllic coffee plantation one day.

Unknown said...

gud

Unknown said...

Wow! You really pen very nice! Loved all your writings.. I too blog, rather attempting at it. Do read.. morningggreentea.blogspot.in